21.11.11

3 Things: FANTASTIC MR. FOX


FANTASTIC MR. FOX
Dir.: Wes Anderson
2009

This was one of my favorite films of 2009. And I still watch it seemingly every few months. Wes Anderson's inventive telling of Roald Dahl's classic story, and the amazing cast make this movie a delight! Here are three things/reasons why I love this movie!

1. The voice cast is pitch-perfect. Mr. Fox is voiced by none other than George Clooney whose confidence and quick wit is perfect for the aging fox who must overcome his overconfidence (and slight cockiness) and accept who is he, as well as come to appreciate what he has, especially in the family department. Also wonderful are Meryl Streep as Mrs. Fox, Jason Schwartzman as Foxie's son Ash, Eric Anderson (Wes' brother) as Ash's cousin Kristofferson, Bill Murray as Badger, Wallace Wallodarsky as Kylie the Opossum, Willem Dafoe as Rat, and Michael Gambon as the farmer Franklin Bean.

2. The animation. Obviously! This was inspiring to watch when we were filming the stop-motion sequences for my short film MARS BITCH (coming soon to the internet!), from just technique to pure, plain old awe. The film was largely animated by the crew of Tim Burton's THE CORPSE BRIDE (which I have ashamedly yet to see!) and led by animation supervisor Mark Waring. Each time I rewatch it I find new details to enjoy. It is so incredibly full of texture and life that it is just such a treat for the eyes. Despite it being an animated film, it is still without a doubt a Wes Anderson film, adhering to his auteuristic style of carefully composed shots and colour palettes. There are many wonderful sequences, but some of my favorite are the quick-paced heists scenes where Foxie and co. are sprinting through the farmers' properties like only the best parkour athletes can.

3. It contains what is likely my favorite moment on film. My heart quaked the first time I saw it in theatres, and I watched the film last night and it made my heart quake then: the moment of understanding and solidarity between volpus volpus and canis lupis. You'll know it when you see it.

BONUS THING #1: All the other wonderful things! Whack-Bat. How they eat. The farmers Boggis, Bunce, and Bean. Foxie's travel radio. Kylie's trances. The bandit hats. So many!

Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment