25.3.10

I'm sorry, but I love Anna Karina

I came across this photo, and it sent me into an Anna Karina whirlwind.
I think maybe I'm just a sucker for a good photo, and this is a great one, it looks like it was taken yesterday! So crisp and beautiful, and looks like Paris, and if there is one thing I most definitely am a sucker for is a gorgeous, hip, nouvelle vague actress... just like Anna Karina!

Karina and Godard

Anna Karina is a Danish born actress who hitchhiked to Paris with neither a cent to her name nor a word of French in her vocabulary. She is most commonly associated with the French New Wave movement, a movement in which she was an integral actress. She was also as director Jean-Luc Godard's muse. In a way, they were the king and queen of French cinema in the late 50s and early 60s. She starred in a number of Godard's films; Une Femme est Une Femme (1961), and Vivre Sa Vie (1962), and Le Petit Soldat (1963), Band a Part (1964), Alphaville (1965), and Pierrot le Fou (1965), and the two were married from 1961 to 1967. (She and Godard also have small uncredited roles in a film-inside-the-film in Cleo de 5 a 7!)

Ahh.. you gotta love soft focus.

As well as a successful film acting career with Jean-Luc Godard and others, she is also an accomplished singer, a theatre actor, and has written two fiction books. If I'm not mistaken, she also became something of an animal activist in her later life, and she is still alive!


The top photo is from here.
And see Anna Karina's filmography here.

No comments:

Post a Comment