3.3.10

Blade Runner







I always loved the quote below about Blade Runner. I wrote a paper on the film in university and I found this in an article that I have long since forgotten. I wish I had made a note of the source. Anyhow, I think this perfectly describes the appeal of Blade Runner to me.

"That's part of the poetry under the film's gaudy nightmare, the deep poignancy that underlies the vicious action. It's about people who flare up and die in a strange city glowing and dying all around them. When the expiring Roy talks about all the memories--fantastic, violent, bewitching--that will perish with him, he's clinging, for those last instants, to the validity of his strange, desperate, deadly life. Blade Runner has a quality that Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris and Stalker and Kubrick's 2001 have: a sense of awe and helplessness, before both technology and the universe itself, a sense (running counter to the spirit of most science fiction) that man cannot master surrounds him, that he is, finally, helpless."

Screen caps from The Blade Runner - Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

No comments:

Post a Comment